The Healing Power of Forgiveness
Have you ever downed an entire package of chips, crackers, or cookies? Ate pizza or cake until you felt sick? Drank more coffee or wine than your body wanted?
Do you remember how you were feeling at the time?
I ask because sometimes we overeat to help distract us from emotional pain. Think about it—have you noticed that sometimes when you overeat you’re not hungry at all? What you are is lonely. Or angry. Or sad. Or resentful. Or frustrated. Or something else?
So what hurt are YOU holding on to and how do you deal with it?
Tap Into the Power of Forgiveness
Wouldn’t it be more effective to address your uncomfortable feelings? Yeah, it may be uncomfortable, but it does pay off. The best, most thorough, most divinely perfect way to deal with hurt is through forgiveness.
Forgiving is not easy, even for the most enlightened or intelligent among us. But if you’ve been allowing your present health to be controlled by past hurts, I can’t encourage you enough to commit to forgiving. These steps can help:
- Talk to sympathetic friends and family about your desire to forgive. Chatting with others is tremendously comforting and effective.
- Write a letter to the person you’d like to forgive. You can decide whether or not you send it or toss it. The act of putting into writing your feelings is also very therapeutic.
- See the situation from the other person’s perspective and your own perspective may change.
- Don’t forget to forgive yourself. Sometimes we can be harshest with ourselves. Be kind to yourself first!
- Understand that you are responsible for your own attitude. Don’t let holding a grudge keep you from feeling free, open, and powerful in your own life.
Learn to forgive yourself and others and watch how much easier your relationship with eating becomes! For more information about attitudes, you can read this.
Get even healthier!
Are you ready to live your healthiest life yet? Want to change your relationship to eating? Let’s talk! You can click here to schedule an initial complimentary consultation with me today—or share this offer with someone you care about!
We’d love to hear your experiences and success stories. Please share you comments below.
Adapted from Institute for Integrative Nutrition