Coaching Consultation Tips
I’m so glad to be part of your support team! You are not going to believe how good you are going to feel, and in a short period of time! I know this because I have not only witnessed it with other clients, friends and family, but with myself as well.
I know how strange, and possibly even scary, a coaching or consulting session can be. “Will I be asked a bunch of personal questions?” -or- “Will she tell me I can’t do this or have to do that”? So let me assure you that we will get somewhat personal about your past and present habits. But these habits from earlier years has shaped the person you are today. They help us both see what habits and thoughts have been unproductive for you. And they also tell us what thoughts and habits can be very productive, and even motivating. Motivation is what drives action, so it is very important that we learn what things motivate you and which ones may hold you back.
Will I tell you that you that you can’t do certain things or eat certain foods? No! You are always in the driver seat, learning what works and what doesn’t. My philosophy is simple–add positive and inspiring practices and the old, unproductive things automatically weed themselves out on their own. Pretty cool, huh? I want to share with you some tips to help you better prepare you for your sessions. These tips will also help you take full advantage of the Consultation Outline we provide.
Before your consulting sessions:
- Session Outline: I have a simple outline that I follow with each of our sessions. This helps both of us stay on track so we don’t waste time getting side-tracked. This is used as the guideline for our sessions – the best sessions happen while you lead them.
- Consult Preparations: In my attempt to be of most value to you during our time together, and in your attempt to be the most present, please come to your meeting prepared with pen and paper or laptop (for taking notes only), a comfortable chair, large glass of water and try to find a quiet, comfortable area to think. Please remember to be prompt and ready to call me at the time we’ve arranged each week.
- Handouts: These may be emailed to you in a PDF format, or if meeting in person, printed out ahead of time and given to you at the end of the session. If you are putting them into a binder, as I would suggest, you may want to three-hole punch the handouts for your convenience.
- Visual Aids: There may be times during our coaching consultations that we decide to do something different and consider using Skype or Zoom. This will give me an opportunity to share my screen and offer more substance. It’s an easy way to make our time together more fun and memorable. * Note: with the COVID situation present today, you may decide that this is the way you prefer to meet, so we can set that up per your request.
- Giveaways: From time to time I offer giveaways to my clients. It all really depends upon you as a client, your location, and how helpful specific giveaways are to your situation. These small gestures are my way of offering you more value and a way of simply saying thank you for trusting me to help you create the goals you want to live a happier and healthier lifestyle.
During your consulting sessions:
- Consult Duration: The amount of time we use for our session is only a bit flexible. I prefer to hold 50 minute meetings and offer 5 minutes of Q&A. If for some reason you find that you need more time, you always have 15 minutes each week for email correspondence. I try to be there for all of my clients, but I do have to put a limit in certain places and at certain times.
- Note taking: No one can keep everything they see, hear and do in their heads. For this reason, I always encourage you to take clear notes. If you would like our consult times to be recorded, I’m happy to provide that service to you and send you a replay. For some, this way works best so they can listen again and take notes.
- Recommendations: My family is the first to admit that I’m an ideas person. You will always walk away from a consultation with at least 2 tips, tricks, hacks or tools. These are geared to help you break through a problem or concern into manageable pieces so you can work more effectively toward your goal(s). Remember, when you begin to create new habits, they have to be able to work into your already existing daily schedule until you modify that schedule. You never want to add more to your plate without removing unproductive things first. In other words, if you find that you are wasting valuable time doing something unproductive, then we will work to fill that time with something productive. This prevents overwhelm.
After your consulting sessions:
- Follow-up: Upon request, I can send to you highlights from the meeting and the goals you agreed to work toward. This email can also contain any recommendations or resources that were discussed during our time together.
- More Questions? Don’t forget that you can contact me via email with any questions you may have regarding our client consults. Each month I offer my clients a 15 minute “development” call each month to use if needed. These calls can be used by you when you have a celebration to share or a development that occurred that may have caused a setback or derailment in your forward momentum. All you have to do is email or text me to schedule one for that day or later. This is something unique that I offer because I know how life can get in the way. It’s nice to get a second opinion or just to have a listening ear!
- Your commitment: If you truly desire to create change in your lifestyle, you must first commit to yourself, then to any and all processes we walk through. You will discover new, more positive habits that pave your way to mastering you life goals….whether it’s to lose weight, get organized, eat healthier or live a life with more meaning. YOU are in charge of your future happiness, and I am here to help you get there—one degree at a time.
Cathy is a certified Health Education Specialist & Coach with a strong passion to help her clients in their journey to improve their overall health and vitality by discovering the sources of their illness and imbalance. As a Healthy Lifestyle Planner, Cathy shares all of the practical ways people can reduce stress, recover their lost energy, restore their immune system function and reset their health goals. She empowers people to hit the pause button in life and become more in tune with their bodies, values and create new actionable goals. This type of approach empowers individuals with the knowledge needed to not only restore their health, but feel more vibrant and alive!
Cathy is also the creator and director of the Holistic Wellness Academy; an online training platform. The site offers clients and practitioners step-by-step courses that are short and actionable. Each course is loaded with scientifically-backed information, ideas and practical, time-saving tips that empower and motivate people to successfully navigate through all the distractions life throws at them. Participants can also converse with fellow students for extra encouragement. She is finalizing her newest program, “RESTORE Your Immune System.” This program explains why people are struggling to stay healthy and the steps they can take to balance and restore the body back to its natural homeostasis. Today it is so important for people to take back control of their health in order to reverse dis-ease.