Is Your Glass Half Empty or Half Full?
Picture a big glass goblet filled to the halfway mark with water. How do you see it—half-full or half-empty?
Did you know that consistently finding the glass half-empty—and the world as a difficult place— is a hallmark of negativity? So today I am hoping to help you change your way of thinking.
Research has found that a negative outlook can contribute to everything from depression to heart disease to lowered immune system function. It can affect sleep, weight maintenance, the quality of your relationships, your social life, and even your ability to hold a job. Your attitude in life is what drives you.
Now imagine what it would feel like to approach life from a place of positivity, fun, connection, health, and possibility. Sounds good, doesn’t it? This way of thinking is that of what I call a “learners mind.” It always leaves open the question, “what can I learn from this?” or “How can this help me?”.
6 Simple Tips to Make a Positive Switch (see the glass as half FULL)
To help wipe out negativity, try one or more of the following action steps:
- Go complaint-free. Try going an hour without complaining and see the positive things in your life. Next, try a day, a week, and so on. Some people take a jar and add a pebble or nickel every time they complain. How quickly will your jar fill up?
- Keep a gratitude journal. Each morning or evening, write down 3-5 things that you are grateful for.
- Give compliments freely and authentically. Notice the good in others. Share something you find positive about every person you interact with.
- Find beauty everywhere in your world. Notice how incredibly beautiful this planet truly is.
- Share your good news and your celebrations. Studies show that sharing happy events brings even more happiness.
- Focus on what you want, not what you don’t want. For more on this you can check out Do You Seek Balance or Harmony.
Shifting your attitude and maintaining a positive outlook takes practice, and the more you do it, the easier it gets. The payoff—a happier, healthier life—is absolutely worth the effort–and it’s absolutely FREE!
Get even healthier!
My mission is all about supporting people in their efforts to live the kind of life they want…right here…right now. Want to learn how to make positive choices in your own life? Want support in creating your healthiest, happiest life possible? Let’s talk! Click here to schedule a complimentary health coaching consultation with me today—or share this offer with someone you care about!
How do you see the world around you? How do you see yourself? What have you done to make the shift? Please share your comments below.
Adapted from Institute for Integrative Nutrition