Understanding Toxicity 3 – Genes and Gene Expression

Understanding Toxicity 3 – Genes and Gene Expression

In part 2 of this series–Understanding Toxins – Detoxification Capacity,  you learned that removing toxins is different for everyone.  You also learned three things you can do right now to help increase your rate of detoxification.  In this post, you will learn how effectively the body manages toxins through gene expression.

Did you know genes and gene expression regulate sensitivity?

– Genetics – The speed with which you’re genetically programmed (built) to remove toxins

There are fast, medium, slow, and ultra-slow detoxifiers, much of which is based on how much glutathione your body makes (the body’s master detoxifier), as well as the efficiency of your glutathione system.  And genes have a lot to do with that.

What’s interesting is, you can often get a good idea who’s an efficient detoxifier, and who’s not, just by looking at them.  The people with the clearest complexions, brightest eyes, most youthful appearance, and radiant energy are often the best detoxifiers.

On the other hand, some people are genetically susceptible to mitochondria dysfunction and/or poor methylation.  Either condition can impair energy production which is needed for detoxification.  As mentioned, detoxification is a luxury process that’s lower on the body’s list of priorities in terms of energy usage–behind things like circulation and digestion.

– Epigenetics — the expression of your genes

Toxins change the way your genes are expressed, not only for you but for your children, and your children’s children.  Some toxins can bind to your DNA, covering up its original configuration (coding).  The body sees the “unholy union” and replicates it that way.  This alters the way your genes turn into physical and biochemical characteristics, not just for you, but multi-generationally.

In other words, toxins can switch some genes off, and switch others on.  And those changes can be passed to future generations.  For example, exposure to certain toxins can compromise your glucose metabolism and contribute to you coming down with type 2 diabetes.  Meaning, epigenetics is likely to play a big role in slow metabolism and weight gain.  You then pass that susceptibility to your children, and so on.

What surprises a lot of people is that epigenetics may play a bigger role in determining which traits/characteristics you exhibit than your actual genes do (particularly biochemical traits).

Scientists now believe your own genetics – your own DNA – determines less than 10% of the expression of certain traits, while epigenetics influences the other 90%.  And prevailing wisdom says it can take one to three generations to reverse alterations to your genetic code and return to its original genetic blueprint.  That’s something to think about!

Coming up…

In part 4, you will learn how your immune system may react to toxic substances and how effectively it may or may not get rid of them.  He’ll also share a great book for you to learn more about detoxifying your body for optimum health.

Understanding Toxicity 1 – Exposure
Understanding Toxicity 2 – Detoxification Capacity
Understanding Toxicity 4 – Immune Reaction

Tell us what you think so far.  Will you be talking to your children to help them change the expression of genes in their children…and future children.  How will you strengthen your lineage for future generations?

RD Lee

Editor-in-Chief of GutBrainSecrets.com. Author of 6 books about the causes, effects, and solutions to gut-brain problems (Gut-Brain Secrets).  He’s a compulsive learner/researcher, copywriter, educator, and knowledge-seeker.

    1 Comment

  1. It’s difficult to find educated people for this topic, however, you seem like you
    know what you’re talking about! Thanks

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *